Our Favorite Christmas Books in Speech Therapy – Episode 29
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…to read amazing Christmas books! The holidays, especially Christmas, can be a happy and magical time for kids, so it’s nice to create those same feelings during your speech therapy sessions. With so many fantastic Christmas-themed books to choose from, it was hard to narrow it down to just our top 10. So in today’s episode, we’re sharing our favorite Christmas books and how to use them with your students.
In last week’s episode, we discussed our key teaching points, which is our criteria for selecting books for literacy and language development. When discussing each of our favorite Christmas books, we reference that criteria and how it can be used with your students. Some of that criteria includes illustration study, age recommendation, speech sounds, theme/message, and the use of literary devices. By incorporating our favorite Christmas books in your speech therapy sessions, you too can bring the magic of Christmas to your classroom.
- A list of our top 10 favorite Christmas books
- Detailed book description, along with ways to increase literacy and language development
- Familiar book series that have Christmas books
- Book companions and other resources to use with certain Christmas books
- Favorite Christmas Books Free Notes
- Book Companions – Christmas
- Key Teaching Points
- Book Search – Christmas
- 12 Sleighs of Christmas by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- Turkey Claus by Wendi Silvano
- Olive, the Other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh
- Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas by Julia Rawlinson
- How Santa Got His Job by Stephen Krenskey
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson
- Mooseltoe by Margie Palatini
- The Tree That’s Meant to Be by Yuval Zommer
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by James Dean
- Stick Man by Julia Donaldson
- Follow us on Instagram @literacybasedspeechtherapy.
- Write your review on Apple Podcasts!
The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast
Do you want to use picture books more in your speech therapy sessions, but have no idea where to start? OR are you already using books in therapy but find it time-consuming to find the RIGHT book and identify relevant speech and language concepts?
You’re in the right place! The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast will help you feel confident in your book choices and instructional decisions. We’ll give you the tools you need to intentionally maximize your sessions!
Meet Your Hosts
Join co-hosts Ashley and Kalin from Sweet Southern Speech each week as they share evidence-based and SLP-approved strategies to use picture books more efficiently and effectively in your speech therapy sessions.