This or That: Using The Day It Rained Hearts and Pete the Cat: Valentine’s Day Is Cool in Speech Therapy – Episode 39
There are so many sweet, cute, and popular Valentine’s Day books out there, but not all of them are ideal to use during your speech therapy sessions. When using a literacy-based speech approach, you’re looking for books that have certain key concepts that target the speech and language goals of your students. And since we know popular doesn’t always mean the best option, we’re doing a this or that Valentine’s Day episode with the books Day It Rained Hearts and Pete the Cat: Valentine’s Day is Cool.
Both of these books are wonderful to read around Valentine’s Day, but depending on your purpose for reading the book, that’s where the difference is. During our this or that Valentine’s Day episode, we go through our process of selecting books to use during our speech therapy sessions. We give a quick summary and then highlight the benefits of using each book, but in the end, we share which of the two books is the best fit to meet the needs of your students instead of reading for enjoyment. Take a listen to hear which book we think you should use!
- A deeper look into our process for selecting books to use during speech therapy sessions
- Why we think one of the books is too simple and doesn’t meet the goals of your students
- Which book has more depth and key concepts your students can learn from
- This or That Valentine’s Notes
- The Day It Rained Hearts by Felicia Bond
- Pete the Cat: Valentine’s Day Is Cool by James Dean & Kimberly Dean
- Key Teaching Points – Seasonal
- Book Search – Valentine’s Day
- Episode 38, Our Favorite Valentine’s Day Picture Books in Speech Therapy
- Follow us on Instagram @literacybasedspeechtherapy
- Write your review on Apple Podcasts!
The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast
Do you want to use picture books more in your speech therapy sessions, but have no idea where to start? OR are you already using books in therapy but find it time-consuming to find the RIGHT book and identify relevant speech and language concepts?
You’re in the right place! The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast will help you feel confident in your book choices and instructional decisions. We’ll give you the tools you need to intentionally maximize your sessions!
Meet Your Hosts
Join co-hosts Ashley and Kalin from Sweet Southern Speech each week as they share evidence-based and SLP-approved strategies to use picture books more efficiently and effectively in your speech therapy sessions.