Our Favorite Thanksgiving Books – Episode 26
We know that if we can find books that kids relate to or go along with a holiday or occasion that’s happening, they’re more likely to be engaged in your lesson. So with Thanksgiving just around the corner, we wanted to give you a list of our favorite Thanksgiving-themed books to use during your literacy-based speech therapy sessions. The meaning and purpose of Thanksgiving is portrayed in these books, which make for special discussions amongst your students. In this episode, we also share the skills highlighted in each of our favorite Thanksgiving books and reasons why you should add them to your library.
While there are so many to choose from, there’s a reason why we chose these Thanksgiving books to be our favorites. After giving an overview of each book, we also dive into the reasons why we use these books in our speech therapy sessions. We discuss vocabulary, a theme or message, figurative language, repetitive text phrases, high frequency words and sounds, and so much more. Even though not every book is a complete episode, we share why it’s still a great book to use with your students. So get in the holiday spirit during your speech therapy sessions with our favorite Thanksgiving-themed books!
- Reasons why we chose these Thanksgiving-themed books to use with our students
- All of the skills, concepts, and themes to highlight while reading each book
- The wide range of different types of books we’ve selected
- Explanation why we still chose books that aren’t complete episodes
- Favorite Thanksgiving Books Free Notes
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson
- The Very Stuffed Turkey by Katharine Kenah
- A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman
- Turkey Trouble by Wendi Silvano
- The Firefighter’s Thanksgiving by Maribeth Boelts
- A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting
- ‘Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving by Dave Pilkey
- Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet
- 10 Turkeys in the Road by Brenda Reeves Sturgis
- Gracias the Thanksgiving Turkey by Joy Cowley
- No Turkey for Thanksgiving by Jacqueline Jules
- How to Catch a Turkey by Adam Wallace
- Book Search – Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Book Companion
- Follow us on Instagram @literacybasedspeechtherapy.
- Write your review on Apple Podcasts!
The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast
Do you want to use picture books more in your speech therapy sessions, but have no idea where to start? OR are you already using books in therapy but find it time-consuming to find the RIGHT book and identify relevant speech and language concepts?
You’re in the right place! The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast will help you feel confident in your book choices and instructional decisions. We’ll give you the tools you need to intentionally maximize your sessions!
Meet Your Hosts
Join co-hosts Ashley and Kalin from Sweet Southern Speech each week as they share evidence-based and SLP-approved strategies to use picture books more efficiently and effectively in your speech therapy sessions.