Our Favorite Halloween Themed Books – Episode 21
With Halloween just around the corner, we thought it would be appropriate to highlight our favorite Halloween themed books to use in your speech therapy sessions. Halloween is a holiday that kids get excited about, so why not try and bring that same excitement into your classroom? We review our process for selecting books and then discuss each of our favorite Halloween themed books in depth to give you the best idea on which ones to read with your students.
While each book is different, one thing they all have in common is being a complete episode, which means it has a plan and actions to solve it. What sets each Halloween themed book apart is its targeted age group, high frequency words, and the sounds they can practice.
Even though each book is amazing, we do share the subtle differences that set each book apart. We think every one of these books should be on your shelves, so utilize them during this time of year to further engage your students!
- Our process for selecting which books to use for certain themes or holidays
- An explanation of each book, along with the concepts and sounds used
- How each book’s message or theme can be relatable to students
- A reminder to be selective and pick books based on student goals
- Free Halloween Book Notes
- 1 Page Book Cheat Sheets – Fall and Halloween
- Halloween Book Companions
- Speech Therapy Book Companions
- Seasonal Narrative Key Teaching Points
- Halloween Book Search
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
- Bone Soup by Cambria Evans
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams
- Stumpkin by Lucy Ruth Cummins
- Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman
- Hallo-wiener by Dave Pilkey
- Fright Club by Ethan Long
- Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds
- Scaredy-Cat, Splat! by Rob Scotton
- Pete the Cat: Trick or Pete by James Dean
- Pumpkin Jack by Will Hubbell Club
- Bruce and the Legend of Soggy Hollow by Ryan T. Higgins
- Follow us on Instagram @literacybasedspeechtherapy.
- Write your review on Apple Podcasts!
The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast
Do you want to use picture books more in your speech therapy sessions, but have no idea where to start? OR are you already using books in therapy but find it time-consuming to find the RIGHT book and identify relevant speech and language concepts?
You’re in the right place! The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast will help you feel confident in your book choices and instructional decisions. We’ll give you the tools you need to intentionally maximize your sessions!
Meet Your Hosts
Join co-hosts Ashley and Kalin from Sweet Southern Speech each week as they share evidence-based and SLP-approved strategies to use picture books more efficiently and effectively in your speech therapy sessions.