How to Implement a Literacy-Based Speech Therapy Approach – Episode 3
You might know that you want to start incorporating literacy into your therapy sessions with students, but are struggling with what that would look like and how to do it effectively. We always want to give you the most accurate information and provide you with ways to best support your students through literacy. That’s why in today’s episode, we’re walking you through the steps we take on using a literacy-based speech therapy approach with one of our favorite books Doctor De Soto.
When using any book as a tool for students, it’s important to follow the reading process from start to finish. Working with our students, we go from activating background knowledge, understanding vocabulary, using a shared book reading approach, to ending with post story comprehension discussion and activities. Using Doctor De Soto as the tool, we walk you through each step to ensure success using a literacy-based approach with your students.
To celebrate the launch of this podcast, we’re doing a giveaway! You can enter to win one of ten Amazon gift cards by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. Before submitting your review, screenshot the episode and send it to us in a DM on Instagram @literacybasedspeechtherapy or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The giveaway closes June 6, 2023.
- The important difference between vocabulary breadth vs. vocabulary depth
- Why Doctor De Soto is a great book to use during a literacy-based speech therapy session
- Steps to take with students when using a literacy-based approach
- Ways to help support struggling students using this approach
- How many sessions are needed to highlight one book
- Preview of what’s to come on next week’s episode
- Professional Development Book List
- Doctor De Soto
- Doctor De Soto Book Companion
- Seasonal Book Companions
- Teaching for breadth and depth of vocabulary knowledge: Learning from explicit and implicit instruction and the storybook texts
- Follow us on Instagram @literacybasedspeechtherapy.
- Write your review on Apple Podcasts!
The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast
Do you want to use picture books more in your speech therapy sessions, but have no idea where to start? OR are you already using books in therapy but find it time-consuming to find the RIGHT book and identify relevant speech and language concepts?
You’re in the right place! The Literacy-Based Speech Podcast will help you feel confident in your book choices and instructional decisions. We’ll give you the tools you need to intentionally maximize your sessions!
Meet Your Hosts
Join co-hosts Ashley and Kalin from Sweet Southern Speech each week as they share evidence-based and SLP-approved strategies to use picture books more efficiently and effectively in your speech therapy sessions.